Saturday, March 19, 2011

Relationship vs. Self

I sometimes wonder if relationships and being true to self are polar opposites.  It seems like the key to successful relationships is setting self aside, compromise and working together.  The bible even advises women to submit to their husbands.  So what is a girl to do if she wants companionship but she also wants to explore the world and pursue her dreams?  The easy answer is to find someone who shares similar goals and dreams; but are any two people ever really on the same page? Everyone knows opposites attract. It always seems that one will want 'this' and the other will want 'that'. Even if two people start off on the same path, can they continue on the same road throughout the journey of life?  I mean really.  Doesn't life take us each on a different path? When I consider truly successful women, it seems that many of them are single and/or unmarried. Why is that? I am a married woman who is still trying to pursue a dream and a passion. I love my man and I love my art. My husband is unbelievably supportive. I mean truly, more than most men would be. Nevertheless, I find it hard to balance my commitment to my relationship and my commitment to myself.  I don't know what the answer is but I can tell you from personal experience that in my relationship when we stay prayerful and we go to church regularly, our relationship works much more smoothly than when we skip church and do our own things.  I really can't explain it.  I mean we are the same two people, doing the same things but when we don't go to church, we are just on disaccord. We argue more and we seem to think in terms of lack instead of blessings.  Maybe the answer to finding balance between relationships and self is not focusing on the relationship or on self; but rather on God. At least that way, you'll discover your true destiny. Just a thought...

Life's Destiny
"Stop selling yourself to the highest bidder"
I heard the message loud and clear

"Figure out your path in life;
Stop operating out of fear"

Though I feel called to the arts
I am not sure how to get there from here

The bills are still due
tuition must be paid

How am I supposed to
step out on faith?

My man still wants to eat and get laid
And there is never enough
time in the day

My child needs attention so
she won't go astray

Where do I start?
How do I begin?
Does the path to life's destiny
start within?

Please order my steps
In accordance with your will
and let my life's destiny
be fulfilled.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment